About Moi

I was born in June 1981, I'm a hearing impaired paper-crafter who loves all things crafty. I sew, although I'm still very much a novice at sewing. I bake and cook hopefully all kinds of delicious treats. I have a huge passion for photography and the camera {yes I'm old school I still use an actual camera} is never far from me. I also love creative writing from making up sentiments/verses for my cards and other paper-craft projects to penning some fiction. I am an avid reader and if you are very unlucky I may even throw in some book reviews on here too!

Sunday, 18 May 2014

A step into the dark challenge

As many of you know for a very long time {since childhood} I've had a fascination with dead bodies and all things like that, I won't bore you with details I'm sure you've all read the about me post!  So I have finally got the courage to take this into my crafting and this is the result.

I have to say I took the name of the challenge blog VERY literally...it's my first step and it's smaller than a baby step but I confess to enjoying it so will be trying to keep delving into this area of craft. 

You can find the A step into the dark challenge on their blog and I do hope lot's of you play along.

For this project I used Skellie Gossip from Ikes Art.  I totally love this image and hope that my friends and I will still be gossiping as skeletons and without a doubt we will be eating cake!

I coloured the image using "Putty" promarker and cut it out, I used a printed gravestone from my good friend google and coloured it with a grey promarker.  I used docrafts gold sparkle embossing powder for the gravestone inscription which reads "Two Best friends, together in death as in life".




I've attached it to the skeletons so that it appears they are sat at a table made from an old gravestone.  I've added a cupcake stamp {docrafts I think} and coloured it with promarkers.



This is where I went a insane, I stamped a coffee cup making sure I placed the skeleton image on the card so I knew where to stamp the cup {free from an old issue of craft stamper} and wrote {what's one more cake between friends}.  I stamped the cup again on scrap card and used low tack masking tape rolled up to make a mask of the cup and stuck it over the cup on the card.  I inked the background using distress inks {black soot, chipped saphire, faded Jeans}. making sure not to go under the cup mask.  Then I removed the mask being careful not to rip the card.  I inked over the cup using scattered straw distress ink to create a rather abstract {or insane} moon.



Finally after using double sided tape to adhere the skeleton and add some gem stars to the night sky.  



I have REALLY enjoyed playing along with this challenge and although it's not as 'dark' as I would like I hope to get progressively darker as I go along.  Thank you for letting me play and encouraging me!

4 comments:

  1. That is fantastic Sall!!! Glad to see another one coming over to the dark side :D Love you!! xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is brilliant! I love the tomb stone table and the coffee cup. Ikes image I believe. Fabulous art. Thank you for joining us at A Step In The Dark challenge
    susan s

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sal, I have just read your comment on the 'A Step In The Dark' challenge blog. It has really upset me that you think so little of your work to withdraw it. You should never judge your work against other people's as we are always our own worst critics.
    I really wish you would link your post back up to our challenge as it is perfect for our challenge blog and the theme. We aren't looking for dark dark makes, we want dark, gothic, steampunk, punk, alternative etc. I like your make and I would really like to see it linked up again and see the wonderful comments your receive for a very wonderful make.

    <3 & Hugs
    Lisa Tyrell xxxx ASITD DT Member

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi sal please re-consider to put your work in our challenge at a step in the dark. Its a very creative and imaginative project. I for one think its fantastic how you have done it. Its definatly appropiate for our challenge.
    Hugs fiona dt/co-owner. X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your kindness with me.
Much love and hugs
Sall