About Moi

I was born in June 1981, I'm a hearing impaired paper-crafter who loves all things crafty. I sew, although I'm still very much a novice at sewing. I bake and cook hopefully all kinds of delicious treats. I have a huge passion for photography and the camera {yes I'm old school I still use an actual camera} is never far from me. I also love creative writing from making up sentiments/verses for my cards and other paper-craft projects to penning some fiction. I am an avid reader and if you are very unlucky I may even throw in some book reviews on here too!

Sunday, 9 August 2015

One stitch at a time ~ sweet treats

Over at http://www.onestitchatatimechallenge.blogspot.de/ this fortnight the theme is sweet treats. Most people would think about sweets, cakes and other nice food or even a drink when faced with this theme but not me. I went a little more left field and chose an image of the Three King/Wise Men on their way to find the Baby Jesus with gifts of Frankincense and Myrrh.

Whilst both are derived from tree sap Frankincense is a milky white resin and Myrrh a reddish colour resin. Both are aromatic {the sweet treat being linked to the smell and rarity of bathing making it a treat} and have been used for Religious and Medicinal purposes for centuries.

The sweet smelling smoke when the resin is burnt has been used to cover the smell of daily life on humans when bathing daily was not feasible. It has also been used in make up. Although the use of Frankincense for bathing and beautifying may not be widely known, the use of Myrrh for the purpose of ritual burials is probably more well known. Both resin's were used in the mummification of Egyptians and during ritual animal sacrifices. Due to it's use within the ritual of death some believe a mixture of wine and Myrrh was offered to Jesus at his Crucifixion.

 Ancient history also depicts the medicinal use of both Frankincense and Myrrh to treat wounds and is reputed to have been used in the treatment of Hemlock poisoning, leprosy {very useful in Biblical times when Lepers were considered an outcast.}, worms, snake bites, scurvy and the plague amongst others. Now my history/science lesson has finished I shall show you a very simple card I made using the Three Kings/Wise Men. I have simply printed the image and the quote "Jesus is the reason for the season" on acetate and layered it over some distress inks.





I am entering this into the following challenges:

http://destempelwinkelstampers.blogspot.co.uk/ {Song: We Three Kings of Orient Are}

http://sweetstampinchallengeblog.blogspot.co.uk/ {anything but a birthday}

http://scrappers-delights-challenge-blog.blogspot.co.uk/ {Anything goes}

http://pinkgemchallengeblog.blogspot.co.uk/ {Animals: Camels}



4 comments:

  1. Marvelous creation and greeeeeaaaate history details there Sall :-D What do you mean "bathing is a rarity" ???.... isn't once a year on my Birthday good enough then ??? bwaaahahahahaha

    Hugz
    IKE xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally awesome Sall and a great link to the challenge theme :) I have throughly enjoyed reading your blog post and your explanation of your thinking behind your artwork for this challenge :) :) Big hugs, Jane xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your card is beautiful, but.... you didn't use a stamp from De Stempelwinkel. So I'm very sorry, but I have to remove your card from the challenge at De Stempelwinkel. I hope you will give the challenge another try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful job on your card. Thank you for joining us at Sweet Stampin' this week :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your kindness with me.
Much love and hugs
Sall