About Moi

I was born in June 1981, I'm a hearing impaired paper-crafter who loves all things crafty. I sew, although I'm still very much a novice at sewing. I bake and cook hopefully all kinds of delicious treats. I have a huge passion for photography and the camera {yes I'm old school I still use an actual camera} is never far from me. I also love creative writing from making up sentiments/verses for my cards and other paper-craft projects to penning some fiction. I am an avid reader and if you are very unlucky I may even throw in some book reviews on here too!

Tuesday, 8 March 2016

Lucky Me

It is "lucky me" fortnight over at Ike's World Challenges and I have decided to look at something a little different than St Patrick's Day.  I have gone with lucky rainbows and the mythical "person" the Green Man or the Jack in the Green.  It is said that branches and vines sprout from his mouth nose and face, some of which may bear fruit or flowers.

The Green Man is seen throughout many countries inside and outside of Europe, throughout Religions including in churches, Wica/Neo Paganism and throughout literature.  Whilst predominantly viewed as a Celtic symbol it's actual origin remains a mystery.  It's name dates from as recently as 1939 when it's physical attributes were realised to be similar to the folklore tales of a character called Jack in the Green or Green Man.

Conjecture from folklorists claim the head symbolizes the mythic rebirth and regeneration which is how it became linked to the iconography of the resurrection similar to the tree of life.  Today the Jack in the Green is linked with the new growth of spring, fertility and the good old tradition of May Day celebrations in England.  Hastings in Sussex still hold May Day celebrations that include a Jack in the Green Pagent.  A man will dress up as Jack in the Green, a huge tall costume complete with a masked face and a flower crown.

Morris Dancers and others dressed up will travel the streets along with Jack in the Green, who a trickster and traditionally lecherous, character will chase pretty girls and act silly.  At a certain point the Morris Dancers will wield their swords and strike Jack in the Green dead.  A poem will be recited over his body and {yes finally I have got to the luck point which is what this post is supposed to be about after all} the crowd will break out in merriment and purloin leaves from Jack in the Green for luck.  The death of Jack in Green is now associated with the revival of a younger, healthier Jack in the Green.

It's not known what exact luck the purloined leaves will give anyone who has managed to pluck one, but with the mythic being linked to fertility it is presumed that it is to aid not just rebirth but birth in general.

Don't panic I promise this long school lesson like post is almost over.  Before I add a photo of my creation I will just provide you with a copy of the poem I wrote for the "lucky Rainbow part".

Rainbows sparkle and shine hope after a storm
Offering serenity in times of turmoil
Yearning for life after the tumultuous tempest
Gathering and harnessing the winds of good fortune
Burnishing the dark clouds of wrath
Investing its buoyant colours in your heart
Veering its way through the skies of your soul to happiness.




The sentiment I wrote on the tag attached to the leaf reads:

I purloined this leaf 
for you my friend
to bring you all
of natures luck.



1 comment:

  1. A great take on the challenge theme and I so love rainbows too :) :) Big hugs, Jane xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your kindness with me.
Much love and hugs
Sall