UK Myths and Legends

Welcome to a new Challenge at International Art and Soul and unfortunately I chose this theme so it's going to be a very difficult one, I'm sorry about this and promise not to choose or at least get help with choosing something more appropriate in future.  This one is UK Myths and Legends and I have chosen the Beast of Bodmin.  I've used images from Ike's Art for this Art Journal Page

Bodmin Moor is found in Cornwall, South West England.  For centuries Bodmin has been known as a creepy place and many legends have been passed down surrounding that creepiness.  Today I am focusing on "The Beast".  To date there have been at least sixty sightings of "The Beast".  Sightings suggest that "The Beast" is a black Panther Esque cat...around 3-5 feet in length with bright white/yellow eyes.  Farmers have also reported mutilated livestock that suggest an animal with wild instincts to kill its prey.

Even the UK Government supported the idea of "The Beast" being real and ordered an investigation to prove its existence.  However, it failed to confirm such a being but couldn't prove there wasn't a being either.  Despite the fence sitting by the Government a child found a Leopard skull on the banks of the River Fowey and this increased the belief in the existence of "The Beast of Bodmin".   Yet this was then disproven as the Natural History Museum confirmed the skull was imported as part of a rug.

Although it wasn't as publicised many still believed in "The Beast" until 1998 when a video was released that showed a black cat like animal around 3.5 feet in length.  A Curator at Newquay Zoo confirmed it was "the best evidence yet" that big cats do occupy Bodmin.

There are many theories surrounding the origin of the beast.  Illegal zoo or pet releases were popular but scientist claim that there is not a large enough food supply to maintain a breeding population.   Some suggest it is a native breed of wild cat previously thought to be extinct whilst others blame the paranormal for "The Beast". 

What is clear though is that sightings continue and unlike the "Beast of Dartmoor" which were zoo released Black Panthers' there is still no confirmation on exactly what this/these animals is/are or how they continue to survive.








Comments

  1. I am learning so much today! I had never heard of the beast ! This is a very cool journal page .

    Hugs,

    Chriss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fantastic piece Sall. I quite believe that these animals are there. We also had rumours of one when I was living on the Isle of Wight and my big brother had a ' close encounter ' one night out walking. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kindness with me.
Much love and hugs
Sall

Popular posts from this blog

Help it's the Spanish Inquisition

One Stitch At A Time {OSAAT} Challenge 236 Anything Goes Special Lady

The beauty of death