Back to School
There is a really fun cat over at Ike's Art Facebook Group for the September challenge. I've gone with a journal page. The cat is walking past the school building wall, the clock is a timely reminder that you have to be punctual for school. With September being the start of the school year I decided to take a look at what back to school means for me.
When I was at school I loved going back, mainly because of the new books. Most of the time I'd worked through the text books given to us at the end of the summer term to read through for the next year, any text books that involved questions {apart from maths} had been completed over the summer. Academically speaking I just couldn't wait to get back to school, socially I hated every second I was there, mainly because of the bullying but also because I grew up being the "adult" and caring for others I found some of my peers very "young" and struggled with how they behaved and reacted a lot.
These days back to school has a whole other meaning for me...it means:
Basically for me it feels as though the world is a far lonelier place when the schools go back. Don't get me wrong it's not all negative but it feels negatively heavy. To counteract this I plan on taking advantage of the positives such as:
When I was at school I loved going back, mainly because of the new books. Most of the time I'd worked through the text books given to us at the end of the summer term to read through for the next year, any text books that involved questions {apart from maths} had been completed over the summer. Academically speaking I just couldn't wait to get back to school, socially I hated every second I was there, mainly because of the bullying but also because I grew up being the "adult" and caring for others I found some of my peers very "young" and struggled with how they behaved and reacted a lot.
These days back to school has a whole other meaning for me...it means:
- Teacher friends are no longer free for impromptu texts/messages when I'm struggling.
- Friends with children are taken up with the school run, preparing lunches, rushing to after school activities, washing and ironing uniforms etc so there are no meet ups at random locations to chat whilst children play in "toy aisles"
- Everyone is talking about holidays being over and where they have been whilst I am still working out what holiday? {As a carer holidays are a mystery to me}
- Working parents are back to work, especially those who had time off during the summer or worked fewer hours are noticeably missing.
Basically for me it feels as though the world is a far lonelier place when the schools go back. Don't get me wrong it's not all negative but it feels negatively heavy. To counteract this I plan on taking advantage of the positives such as:
- Not having to worry about children catching the edge of shot when taking photographs
- National Trust properties tend to be quieter and have less gimmicks to attract children detracting from the history and natural beauty of the place
- Autumn is one of my favourite times of year because of the colours it brings
So here's my art journal page for you:

Eeee !! What an excellent piece. Great colouring and that brick background rocks. !! I agree with most of your story up there Sall and I can totally see where you are coming from :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks for using my new Pusscat xxx