Technological Dependence
Well
the title says Technological Dependence and that is exactly what this
post is about, with some craft thrown in of course. First I want to
explain my definition, I’ve spent a couple of weeks considering
this post and have looked at what the title means a lot and have
decided it means something very different to me. Whilst browsing
twitter I noted that a lot of people consider technological
dependence as frequently using phones and tablet when others are
around. For me personally I see technological dependence as using
technology as a replacement for something that doesn’t work. In my
case the phone, both landlines and mobile. Yes looking at the
twitter definition a phone is considered technology but in this case
it’s making calls and that hasn’t been a technological
advancement in a hundred odd years.
I
can’t hear on the phone, I can hear just well enough with the aid
of a Bluetooth in ear speaker to bluff a conversation with friends as
long as it doesn’t involve a meeting place or time but the rest is
not possible. I have tried and failed more times than I can count.
It’s time I accepted it just isn’t going to work and I have a
love hate relationship with technology.
I
hate being in constant contact with everyone, I hate that most non
verbal communication these days is done through social media and that
is generally negative, even the look at me I’m doing wonderful
posts tend to have a negative connotation for those who read them and
feel bad it is something they haven’t done or can’t do and it’s
probably best not to start me on the blackmail posts that are doing
the rounds at the moment declaring someone to be available constantly
should you wish to talk...{sorry I am a selfish cow and I am not
staying awake indefinitely on the off chance you will ring me nor am
I going to take my phone to the shower, the toilet, or stop the car
on the motorway to take your call I am quite simply NOT ALWAYS
AVAILABLE, I will however get back to you as and when so stop making
me feel guilty for not achieving the social media definition of
“Friend”}.
I
hate that I’m constantly facelessly attached to my phone or the
laptop rather than speaking to someone.
I
hate that the laughter in someone’s voice or the smile on their
face or any gestures are missed when using technological methods of
communication.
I
hate the feeling of forcing others to increase their use of
technology in order to communicate with me and thus isolating myself
further by avoiding contact.
There
are positives too though,
I
love that I can talk to people and not mishear or embarrass them by
asking them to raise their voice to an unacceptably loud level
I
love that I can be independent, with the use of Next Generation Text
I can make phone calls to those I wouldn’t normally be able to
I
love that feeling of knowing someone is listening/reading what I say
and bother to tell me what is going on for them and being able to
laugh or cry with them.
I
love that I can choose when I communicate with someone.
I
love how much energy I have left after the conversation and am not
limited to only communicating when I have too because hearing and
deciphering is exhausting
I
love that you can flip between topics and I can still keep up and
know what is being talked about.
All
this makes me dependent on technology yet when it goes wrong or I
need to deal with a company that won’t accept calls from Next
Generation Text I’m as dependent on another human being as a
neonate. It’s infuriating, upsetting, demoralising and I seek
blame, I blame myself, IF I could hear this would not have gone
wrong/broke, IF I could hear I wouldn’t be making someone else
suffer to help me, IF I could hear others wouldn’t be put at
risk...because without NGT I cannot make a phone call, I cannot call
the Dr’s, I cannot call the emergency services, I cannot do
anything. This happened recently not once but twice. Firstly
Curry’s and Hotpoint won’t accept NGT calls for broken appliances
under warranty, I ended up calling and making the situation worse by
not hearing what was going on, in the end I had to take out an
insurance policy and because that company does accept NGT calls
things are finally getting better even if it has taken months.
Then
as I was hoping to save money I’d upgraded my internet connection,
it should also provide a more stable connection for NGT...only it’s
still not been connected. BT refused to deal with me via live chat
and twitter where I repeatedly informed them I’m deaf and cannot
phone, at one point I asked if they were being purposefully offensive
and discriminatory as I keep telling them I’m deaf I was told no
but do phone us. I’ve had to get a family member to take unpaid
leave twice in order to get them to sort out the connection. I now
have a temporary connection which isn’t great and BT still won’t
take an NGT call.
The
appliance breaking and not being able to use NGT threw me, I’d
become fairly confident through the use of NGT but now I couldn’t
use it. I was upset and as things got rapidly very out of hand
trying to use the phone, my confidence dropped I couldn’t think of
a single positive thing and as people around me got increasingly
positive I lost all hope...there was a moment when I couldn’t see
how I was good for anyone or anything, I can’t sort things out for
myself I just make work for others, I’m just a useless good for
nothing unintelligent baby who would never grow up and gain
independence, I was going to be forever under a year old. A friend
coincidentally text that night as I was sat sobbing on the bedroom
floor because at that point I didn’t even deserve the comfort of a
bed, why would I? I hadn’t done anything to deserve a home, a bed
or anything...I was useless no good to anyone, no good to the world
so why should I have those things? Without really knowing what she
was doing she stopped me sobbing by distracting me with something
about her life and I ended up bed crying quietly until I fell asleep.
Things were marginally better then next morning mainly because my
headache stopped me from being able to focus on anything.
Attempting
to sort things myself has left me exhausted, I’m sleeping as many
hours as I can, the tiredness has affected my balance and I’m
covered in bruises from bumping into things and falling over, my
wrists ache because of old and new injuries when falling from lack of
balance. I LONG to do some yoga but I know that if I attempt it like
this I will end up with serious injuries. Something so silly and
minor as something breaking and going wrong has left me struggling on
daily basis. I’ve come to the point now where I’ve accepted help
and things are slightly better but I feel guilty, that someone is
losing money and could be putting themselves in financial difficulty
because I am too much of a baby to sort things out myself! I assume
at some point in the future things will improve, hopefully the near
future too but for now, I’ve finally admitted I am dependent on
technology. Slowly as things are sorted I am regaining some
confidence, I am still battered and bruised and these experiences
will remain with me for quite some time but I hope and long for a
time when they become a distant memory that doesn’t reduce me to
tears.
I’ve
said for a few years now, “Acceptance is half the battle won” {©
Sallie Baker 2018} and it’s true if you can accept the way things
are it’s much easier. Had I accepted earlier I would not be able
to deal with either issue things would not have got so complicated
and it would have been easier for someone else to sort it out for me.
Which is why I am choosing to accept technological dependence
because whether I like it or not I NEED technology, in particular
working technology, in order to be independent, happy, part of
society and healthy. Technological dependence isn’t always bad, it
can be good, it does good and I am very grateful for it.
This
page in my journal is supposed to be fun yet still encompassing the
need for all things technical and how my world is now centred around
technology.
Now
a question for anyone who has braved to get this far through the
post, do you prefer text first then photo’s or photo’s first then
text?



I prefer text then photos :) :) :) Oh Sall, I am with you on this, acceptance is the first and most important step in finding a place for 'self' in this ever changing world. Technology is great in so many ways if used correctly. I love my laptop, the way I can communicate in my own time via email or message but detest carrying round a mobile phone which shouts at me - it is kept at a distance, I only answer it if it is convenient for me to do so or is a family member. As for FB, although I have that on my phone I don't respond to anything until I am ready, it can ping all it wants but I don't look until, in most cases, it is around tea time and then I do my catch up. A little different at home when I am on my laptop designing etc. and have FB open in the background so I can keep an eye on the DT in case I am needed there :) So yes, technology a place but it needs to be controlled by the user and not the user being controlled by technology. You are not a baby, you are not useless, you have magic in areas others do not. We are all individual and nobody is good at anything so you have to learn to accept 'you' love 'you' for who you are, know your strengths and weaknesses and work with them any way you can. Hang in there sweetie :) xxxx
ReplyDelete